Kill Song (ARC)

⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
Release Date: November 23, 2021
Genre: Reverse Harem, Dark Romance, Psychological Thriller
Blurb:
Open Case File

Memo

Honor my father. 

There are four types of serial killers. 

Hedonistic.

Power/control.

Mission-oriented.

Visionary.

Not all serial killers are caught. At any given point, there could be as many as fifty serial killers active at at time. 

Fifty.

I'm looking for one. 

He's male, likely in his forties or fifties now. He's been killing successfully for more than three decades. I suspect even longer, though our timeline is based only on the earliest victim we've identified with his signature mark.

Seventy-nine kills that we are certain of. 

A year ago, the unsub's methods changed. It was a subtle shift. Instead of one of two bodies a year, five have been dropped. Forensic evidence remains inconclusive, but in my gut, I know something's changed.

Either the unsub has a partner or he's about to become a spree-killer. 

It's only a matter of time before someone puts the coin into the right slot and the kill song begins.

Finding the unsub is my obsession. It was my father's. He died without solving the mystery.

I won't. 

Review:
Please check trigger warnings prior to reading. Thanks to Heather Long, Blake Blessing and Peachy Keen PR for the ARC!

I went into this completely blind. I read the blurb and still had no idea what I was getting into. Wow. The prologue hooked me and had me thinking "WTF?!" The idea that a child wouldn't bat an eye when her father is ridding the world of "monsters" is creepy, fascinating and an amazing way to start this book. 

"Good night, Daddy,' I said as I raced to the stairs and I grinned at the monster in the chair before I waved goodbye to him. I wasn't supposed to talk to the monsters, but it always made me feel safer to know Daddy had caught another one."

Vienna is the perfect predator, she's unsuspecting, brilliant, methodical and cunning. Merrick is absolutely lovable from the very beginning with his need to please and take care of Vienna, although he has a side to him that makes you question how many screws are loose upstairs. 

"With sooty lashes framing ice blue eyes, and a few days stubble across his jaw, he was every inch the bad boy. 
    Which was hilarious, because he had more decency in his thumb than most of the human population... Even if he was a little strange."

As with Reverse Harems, our female lead will not have to choose. In this first book we've met who I believe will be all three men in her harem. Fletcher comes into the picture and adds brevity and laughter to Vienna's black and white world. He's a self proclaimed lover and not a fighter who quickly finds his in with Vienna by providing his hacking services. 

"...No, I was probably gonna girly scream and distract the fucker and let Drew save herself. That was a plan, right?"

Finally, we get chapters from Cash's point of view, who I believe will be our 3rd in the harem. He's a detective who has followed in his father's footsteps by trying to catch the killer. While there's no direct interaction between Cash and Vienna, I am so excited to see how these two will come to cross paths and what will happen. 

This storyline is unique and together with the character development, dialogue and thrilling writing, this story is a must for those readers who enjoy dark romance with steam and psychotic tendencies from the main characters. Heather and Blake have a brilliant start to this series and I cannot wait to read more about Vienna, Rick (Merrick), Fletcher and Cash. I HIGHLY recommend getting lost in this series, you won't regret it!




 

Comments

Popular Posts